Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Selfish Transformation

So...This is my first time blogging. Let me begin by saying thank you for reading this.


Over the past year and a half, I have gone to Texas A&M University. This past semester I have become totally involved in my major (Aerospace Engineering).  I'm not trying to "brag" about Texas A&M or anything, but they have one of the best Aerospace Engineering Schools in the United States. Naturally, it is tough to be involved in.  After being in college for a year and a half though, I have noticed minute changes that cause drastic effects on how I view everything in my life.

This past semester...hmmm...well, it has shaken me to my very core. The five classes that I have took shook me to the point of almost becoming insane. There were plenty of times I questioned myself for choosing such a challenging major and likewise tried to convince myself to quit and major in something easier.  In a classic cliche tense for college students, I have literally pulled close to 10 all-nighters in the Fall 2011 semester alone. I digress though.

On a psychological level, going through the struggles of hours of homework and studying changes you. I believe that is how college works. It teaches you how to teach yourself as well as how to think differently than a "normal" person would.  You could use an analogy and say that college is rewiring your brain. In this rewiring process though, I find myself being more laid-back about EVERYTHING in my life. Obviously stress is present, but it just doesn't effect me as much. College forces you to pick a limited number of choices in a situation when it seems as if there are unlimited choices. Time becomes your enemy, as well as sleep, and sugary and fatty food.

I feel like this is the true beginning of my adult phase in my life and that my adolescence is slowing fading. It is truly a bittersweet feeling; I have been goofy all of my life, but I've always wanted to prove myself to my haters so-to-speak. Everything is well academically and socially in my life, but I have this small part of me that doesn't want to let go of my childhood because I feel like I will lose something that is a part of me.  Sacrifice is needed in life in order to better ourselves and grow.

The drive, the ego, and the determination are what I depend on in my journey to adulthood and my career. As a matter of fact, without these three fundamental states of minds, I would not even be where I am today.

I remember a quote somewhere, I live by it and face every challenge I have in life with it....

"If you want something that is hard to get, you have to want it more than you want to breathe"

Sacrifice is the only hardship I feel like I have to deal with, the rest is simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment